What is Patriot?
Patriot Software is an HR service that offers both payroll and accounting services. Both can add on HR services and time and attendance tracking that integrate seamlessly together. Patriot stands out for expert customer service and free account onboarding through a setup wizard.
Patriot payroll is one of the most affordable payroll software options we’ve reviewed. It’s designed for small businesses – less than 100 employees or accountants that run payroll for their clients. There are two plans – Basic and Full Service payroll. On the Basic plan, the software runs payroll for you, but you handle the payroll tax, while on the Full Service plan, payroll taxes are handled for you.
Patriot payroll software stands out with high-level customer service and free payroll account setup and onboarding. Beyond that, running payroll itself takes about three minutes and three clicks.
Screenshot: Manage and approve time cards for quick three-step payroll. Source: Patriot portal demo.
Patriot software reviews indicate that the payroll software has very few drawbacks and is easy for anyone – even those new to payroll software – to use. Add that to its affordable price point, and it’s the perfect solution for small businesses without a dedicated payroll staff and a small budget.
Screenshot: Patriot portal and overview. Source: Patriot payroll software login.
Patriot Payroll Pros and Cons
- Free trial available
- Two- and four-day direct deposit
- Free onboarding and setup wizard
- Unlimited payroll runs without extra charges
- Run payroll in three steps
- Does not offer benefits management
- Full tax service only available in higher tier
- No in-person/live training
How much does Patriot cost?
Screenshot: Patriot software pricing and add-ons. Source: Patriot software demo.
Patriot plans start at $17 per month.
- Starting price:
- $17 per month + $4 per employee
- Free trial:
- 30 Days
- Free version:
- Not Available
|Patriot Payroll Pricing & Plans|
|Basic Payroll||Full Service Payroll|
|Starting at $17/month||Starting at $37/month|
|Plus $4 per employee||Plus $4 per employee|
What’s included in every Patriot payroll plan? Both Patriot payroll plans include free setup and onboarding, unlimited payroll runs in multiple locations and frequencies, direct deposit, an employee portal, customer service, and integrations with various HR software. At the Basic level, you handle payroll taxes yourself, whereas Patriot handles your payroll taxes for you on the Full Service level.
Which features does Patriot offer?
|Payroll Software Features|
|Free 4- and 2-day direct deposit|
|Electronic and printable W-2 forms delivered to the employee portal; e-filing of 1099 is optional|
|Patriot portal for employees with all pay information they need|
|Multiple integrations including Quickbooks and Patriot’s accounting and HR software|
|Free unlimited payrolls in multiple locations at various frequencies|
Other notable Patriot features
- Pay independent contractors the same as you would your employees
- The same expert customer service with every price level
- Free payroll setup
- Mobile friendly software, so no Patriot payroll app is needed
Screenshot: Patriot has the ability to pay and offer the same payroll service to independent contractors without extra fees. Source: Patriot payroll software demo.
What types of support does Patriot offer?
|1-on-1 Live Training|
|Self-Guided Online Training|
Patriot user review highlights
We analyzed 5,185 user reviews about Patriot from four third-party review websites to provide this summary.
Patriot payroll reviews have very few gripes. In fact, most users say point blank they have no complaints. Of the very limited negative remarks that we read, users say that while customer service is overall wonderful, the email response time could be a little faster. Others report that there needs to be more integrations with popular HR software.
Most remarks made in Patriot payroll reviews are extremely positive. Users appreciate the responsive, friendly, professional, and helpful customer service. Another standout feature that users love is that Patriot software is all online, meaning they find it convenient to run payroll from anywhere. Users also comment about how affordable the payroll software is, saying the price tag is unbeatable. And finally, reviewers appreciate how easy it is to use.
Screenshot: Patriot payroll customer service. Source: Patriot software demo.
- Ease of Setup – Patriot reviews report that set up is a breeze, and the onboarding process takes the guesswork out of getting started.
- Ease of Use – Users say that Patriot payroll is incredibly easy to use. One user comments that it’s so easy for her even without payroll experience and has saved her company from having to hire a payroll expert.
- Features – Helpful and professional customer service is the top feature Patriot users comment on. They also appreciate how easy to use it is, how truly affordable it is, and that it’s browser-based making it convenient to use from anywhere.
- Quality of Support – Patriot software customer support is the highest rated feature, and users remark that the company representatives are helpful, professional, friendly, and responsive.
- Value for Money – Many users report finding exceptional value for the money with Patriot payroll. Users are blown away by the ease of use at the affordable price point.
Patriot Contact Information
- Parent Company:
- Patriot Software
- Canton, OH
- Year Founded:
|Software||Starting Price||B2B Reviews Score|
|Patriot||$17/month + $4 per person per month||4.75|
|Gusto||$40/month + $6 per person per month||4.25|