What is AppFolio?
AppFolio is cloud-based property management software that enables landlords, property managers, and community association managers to save time and money by automating many of the tedious tasks associated with property and community association management. A minimum portfolio size of 50 units is required for implementation, and onboarding fees are based on portfolio size.
AppFolio is designed for residential and commercial properties as well as community associations. Source: AppFolio website
AppFolio offers two separate apps that are available for both iOS and Android:
- AppFolio Property Manager: used by property managers for managing AppFolio units on mobile devices
- Online Portal by AppFolio: used by tenants for paying rent and submitting maintenance requests
AppFolio’s maintenance request feature enables landlords and property managers to easily create and track work orders online. Users can communicate directly with residents and homeowners within the dashboard. Teams can also leverage the platform to create seamless maintenance workflows that move requests down the pipeline automatically.
AppFolio’s online maintenance workflows make it easy to track work orders and communicate progress with residents. Source: AppFolio website
The software also includes a lease management module that allows users to keep track of leases, rent payments, and other important information. All that is needed is an AppFolio property management login and a plan that fits your needs.
AppFolio offers a wide range of services for both residential and commercial property management, including:
- Rent collection
- Lease administration
- Maintenance and repair
- Accounting and financial reporting
- Evictions and lease terminations
- Marketing and leasing
AppFolio offers different pricing plans depending on the types of properties or associations you’re managing. These include Residential Core, Residential Plus, Community Associations, Commercial Core, and Commercial Plus.
AppFolio pricing for residential property management “Core” and “Plus” plans – December 2022. Source: AppFolio website.
AppFolio plans differ on features and the number of units in your portfolio. With the residential and commercial “Plus” plans, you get everything in the “Core” plans plus workflow management, performance insights, revenue management, AppFolio Stack™ premium integrations, data export capabilities, and an elevated service experience. Each user must have a portfolio of 50 units or more to use any of the plans.
No matter which plan you choose, there are no long-term contracts required, and you can cancel your service at any time.
With more than 17,000 customers, AppFolio property management has a proven track record of success in managing properties. It’s a great option if you’re looking for a one-stop-shop property management company that can handle everything for you.
How much does AppFolio cost?
AppFolio plans start at $280/month.
- Starting price:
- $280 per month
- Free trial:
- Not Available
- Free version:
- Not Available
|AppFolio Pricing & Plans|
|Residential Core||Residential Plus||Community Associations||Commercial Core||Commercial Plus|
|Starting at $280 / mo||Starting at $1500 / mo||Starting at $280 / mo||Starting at $280 / mo||Starting at $1500 / mo|
|$1.40 per unit / per month||$3 per unit / per month||$0.80 per unit / per month||$1.50 per unit / per month||$3 per unit / per month|
|Minimum portfolio size of 50 units required.||Minimum portfolio size of 500 units required.||Minimum portfolio size of 50 units required.||Minimum portfolio size of 50 units required.||Minimum portfolio size of 500 units required.|
What’s included in every AppFolio plan? AppFolio plans include robust accounting and reporting, built-in virtual marketing and leasing tools, resident and owner management, online maintenance, a fully mobile experience, continuous software updates, live chat support, and calls by appointment.
Which features does AppFolio offer?
|Property Management Software Features|
|Online lease tracking & tenant screening|
|Tenant & Owner portals|
|Full accounting capabilities|
|Custom property websites & online listings|
|Online maintenance request tracking|
Other notable AppFolio features
- AppFolio tenant portal
- Document management
- Performance insights
- Online payments
- Real-time flexible reporting
- Mobile inspections
- Audit logs
- Customizable workflows
- Vacancy dashboard
- Premium leads
- Professional websites
What types of support does AppFolio offer?
|1-on-1 Live Training|
|Self-Guided Online Training|
AppFolio user review highlights
We analyzed 2,498 user reviews about AppFolio from five third-party review websites to provide this summary.
Critical reviews of AppFolio pointed to the fluctuating quality of customer support over the years. Although reviewers acknowledged the platform itself was user-friendly, they cited negative experiences with the support team. Other critical reviewers expressed concerns about the value for money. They said the platform offered a robust suite of features, but users with smaller portfolios don’t need every feature AppFolio provides. Many reviewers with small or medium-sized companies said AppFolio was an expensive option.
On the other hand, reviewers with positive feedback praised the simple setup process, ease of use, and variety of features AppFolio offers. Some reviewers said they received great customer support, citing the friendliness of the team and the ease of the onboarding process. Reviewers also praised the tutorials AppFolio offers to help new users learn how to use the platform.
- Ease of Setup – Reviewers mentioned that the setup process was easy. Although AppFolio offers setup tutorials, most people shared that the traning was unnecessary because they could figure out the setup themselves.
- Ease of Use – Most AppFolio reviewers were impressed with the ease of use overall, while some thought certain tasks took too many clicks to complete. Overall, people enjoyed the ease of use of this program.
- Features – Some AppFolio customers mentioned wanting more features for maintenance requests, but overall seem content with the extensive features offered in the AppFolio portal.
- Quality of Support – AppFolio customer service received a wide variety of feedback. Some people complained about a decline in customer support over the years and were unhappy about it. On the other hand, many reviewers were impressed with the vast customer support options offered and were happy with the customer service they received.
- Value for Money – Although the platform offers extensive features, many users thought the cost was too high. One reviewer said the large suite of features was more than she needed for a medium-sized company with 750 units. Many reviewers expressed that AppFolio is good for large portfolios because they can make adequate use of the features and services.
AppFolio Contact Information
- Parent Company:
- AppFolio, Inc.
- Santa Barbara, California
- Year Founded: