What is Buildium?
Buildium is a cloud-based property management software offering robust property management accounting tools, service maintenance requests, task management and online portals for residents, owners and community association board members in every plan.
Pricing comes in three plan tiers – Essential, Growth and Premium. The Growth and Premium plans come with unlimited eSignatures, waived incoming EFT transaction fees and more robust analytics and insights. If you need to integrate existing systems with Buildium, you’ll want the Premium plan so you can access Buildium’s Open API.
We like that Buildium offers free marketing websites with each plan and allows you to advertise vacant units on popular listing sites like Apartments.com, Apartment List, Zumper, Craigslist and the entire Zillow Rental Network.
Screenshot: Buildium propery listings page. Source: Buildium demo
Buildium offers two mobile apps which are both available for iPhone and Android devices. The Buildium app allows you to manage the properties in your Buildium portfolio, communicate with residents and owners, collect and record payments, view property details, review tasks and keep track of resident requests while on the go. The Resident Center app is for residents, owners and/or community association members and allows users to make payments, submit maintenance requests, contact their property manager, learn about their community, and more. Both apps are highly rated in the App Store and Google Play.
Upon our review, it seems as though there isn’t much Buildium can’t do in the world of property management. We recommend Buildium for residential property managers and larger HOAs as well as property management companies with mixed real estate portfolios that want to manage all their properties in one place.
How much does Buildium cost?
Buildium plans start at $50/month.
- Starting price:
- $50.00 per month
- Free trial:
- 14 Days
- Free version:
- Not Available
|Plans & Pricing|
|Starting at $50/mo||Starting at $160/mo||Starting at $460/mo|
|Unlimited Users||Unlimited Users||Unlimited Users|
What’s included in every Buildium plan? All Buildium plans include property accounting, maintenance requests, tasks, violations, resident and board member communications, property manager mobile app, resident online portal and mobile app and owner and board member online portals. All plan levels include standard reports, a free marketing website and ticket support.
Start Free Trial Visit Buildium’s website. Current promotion: 14 day free trial
Which features does Buildium offer?
|Property Management Software Features|
|Online lease tracking & tenant screening|
|Resident & Owner portals|
|Full accounting capabilities|
|Custom property websites & online listings|
|Online maintenance request tracking|
Other notable Buildium features
- Advertise vacant units
- Schedule showings
- Customize rental applications
- Collect applicant signatures with HelloSign
- Offer renters insurance by MSI
- Collect payments online
- Share and store important documents
- Schedule recurring maintenance tasks
- Pay vendors and track expenses
- Log and update violations
- Share financial reports with owners
- Collect and customize inspection reports
- Communicate with homeowners, non-owner residents and board members
- Build custom integrations with Open API
What types of support does Buildium offer?
|1-on-1 Live Training|
|Self-Guided Online Training|
Buildium user review highlights
We analyzed 2,385 Buildium reviews from multiple third-party sources to provide this summary.
Critical reviews about Buildium often come from small or volunteer HOAs or small property management companies with fewer than 20 properties and 30 units. Those users say that although the price attracted them initially, the system felt too cumbersome for their small business. Some users reported that customer service can be slower to respond while others said responses were quick – so it’s still up for debate on how responsive the support team will be at any given time. And, according to some reviewers, although the software is able to support commercial properties, it doesn’t seem to be fully optimized for it.
On the flip side, positive reviews about Buildium say the software saves them tons of time because it’s easy to set up recurring tasks, collect online payments and communicate with tenants. Multiple users made it a point to say that the Buildium Academy was extremely helpful in learning how to use the software. And, while some smaller property management companies had trouble using Buildium, other users say it’s a good value for a small company because you get all the basics at a reasonable price that can scale up or down depending on how many units you’re managing.
- Ease of Setup – The consensus seems to be that although set up can be difficult, it is key to making the software work for them – many users appreciate the Buildium Academy as a resource for training.
- Ease of Use – Majority of reviewers say Buildium is easy to use overall but some experience difficultly with the accounting and reporting features. One user said the resident application process can be a little glitchy.
- Features – Task management, tenant screening, online payments and communication tools seem to be the favorite features among most users whereas bill entry, bank reconciliation and better features for commercial leasing are areas where Buildium features could improve.
- Quality of Support – The reviews are mixed here – many customers rave about Buildium’s support team and quick response times while others claim the customer service can be “hit or miss” and that you may have to check your facts with a more knowledgeable employee.
- Value for Money – Very few users flat out said it wasn’t worth the price – the majority of users said the flexible pricing structure and robust features make Buildium a game changer for their business.
Buildium contact information
- Parent Company:
- 3 Center Plaza, Suite 400, Boston, MA 02108
- Year Founded:
|Software||Starting Price||B2B Reviews Score|
|Buildium||$50 / month||4.60|
|DoorLoop||$59 / month||4.75|
|YardiBreeze||$1 per unit / month||4.15|
|AppFolio||$1.40 per unit / month||4.50|