What is Checkr?
Checkr background check is an AI-powered, cloud-based employment background check platform. Hiring managers can mass invite candidates with a simple link to fill out the background check application. From there, everything is automated, making the job easier, more accurate, and very efficient.
Screenshot: Candidate application process filled out and says it will be done within three days. Note: Blurred to protect the author’s privacy. Source: Checkr candidate portal.
Checkr says it turns around 84% of background checks within 15 minutes to 24 hours, and we found this true on the background check we ran. It was processed with results in our hands within 16 minutes of starting the process.
Screenshot: Checkr background check status results were returned within 16 minutes. Source: Candidate results email notification.
Checkr pricing has three different tiers: Basic+, Essential, and Professional, all designed for less than 300 checks per year. Any company running over 300 checks per year must consult a sales representative to get custom Checkr pricing.
Checkr background check is designed for companies that reflect the modern workforce – those that work with freelance and contract workers and in high turnover industries such as Uber. Reviews reflect that most are happy overall with the service. However, a handful of disgruntled candidates say they have missed out on a position due to inaccurate information being revealed in the screening done by Checkr.
Checkr Pros and Cons
- Mass invite applicants all at once
- Designed for contract workers and full-time employees
- Turnaround in 15 minutes to 24 hours
- Pricing is transparent and easy to understand
- Automated processes save time
- No chat support
- Missing onboarding and training
- Live representative not available
How much does Checkr cost?
Checkr plans start at $29.99.
- Starting price:
- $29.99 per month
- Free trial:
- Run your first check free
- Free version:
- Not Available
|Checkr Pricing & Plans|
|Starting at $29.99/month||Starting at $54.99/month||Starting at $79.99/month|
|Less than 300 checks per year||Less than 300 checks per year||Less than 300 checks per year|
What’s included in every Checkr plan? Every Checkr background check includes an SSN trace and checks against the sex offender registry, global watch list, and national criminal records. The Essential plan also includes unlimited county criminal checks, and the professional level adds education and employment verifications.
Screenshot: Checkr background check status basic check results. Source: Candidate portal results.
Which features does Checkr offer?
|Employment Background Check Features|
|Many levels of checks available|
|Several levels of international checks available|
|84% of checks are completed within 24 hours or less|
|28 HR and ATS integrations plus industry-specific integrations to support high turnover industries|
|Accredited by the PBSA and the Background Screening Credentialing Council (BSCC)|
Other notable Checkr features
- AI-powered technology that reduces error
- Candidate dashboard
- Available in 200+ countries
- Continuous checks
- Drug and health screening
What types of support does Checkr offer?
|1-on-1 Live Training|
|Self-Guided Online Training|
Checkr user review highlights
We analyzed 471 user reviews about Checkr from four third-party review websites to provide this summary.
Checkr reviews reveal that several candidates reported missing out on a job because Checkr provided inaccurate information on their checks. When contested, Checkr seems to have done nothing about it. Further, in Checkr reviews, users say they can’t get a hold of a real person from Checkr customer service to challenge these incorrect results. In fact, beyond inaccurate checks, several users indicate frustration with Checkr customer service and not being able to quickly talk to a company representative to resolve issues and instead are directed to email, which is slow and a time suck.
Screenshot: We noted on the Checkr background check status that our address check that of 18 addresses identified in the address history, only 12 were correct, which prompted a screening of a county that was never lived in by the candidate. Source: Candidate portal results.
In positive Checkr background check reviews, users appreciate the company’s automation. Hiring managers making Checkr background check reviews remark that being able to send candidates a link where they put in their own information is helpful and saves so much time. Users also say the platform is easy to use, navigate, and integrate with other programs. Many are impressed with the quick turnaround times.
- Ease of Setup – According to Checkr background check reviews, there isn’t any setup required to get started using Checkr immediately.
- Ease of Use – In Checkr reviews, users agree that ease of use is one of the best things about Checkr and the Checkr portal. The automation features save time and make the work much easier.
- Features – Checkr reviewers love how many HR and ATS programs Checkr integrates with. They also appreciate how automated it is.
- Quality of Support – Reviews on Checkr support are hit or miss. Many users complain when they can’t get a hold of an actual person, while others find the company responsive.
- Value for Money – Those reviewing Checkr find it a huge value for the money, saying with so many ways to automate and integrate, it saves so much time screening and hiring candidates that it is well worth the money.
Checkr Contact Information
- Parent Company:
- San Francisco and Denver
- Year Founded:
|Software||Starting Price||B2B Reviews Score|
|Checkr||$29.99 per month||4.5|
|GoodHire||$29.99 per month||4.25|